Do you feel it already? The humid days of summer in Baton Rouge are coming. Of course, this is Louisiana. Dealing with humidity is our way of life. If your hair does not have the moisture it needs, the hair cuticle expands to try to capture moisture from the atmosphere creating frizz. So the key to reducing frizz is moisture, ironic isn’t it? When humidity tries to frizz out your parade, try these tips to stay calm, cool, and collected.
- Use less shampoo and concentrate it at the roots. Try washing your hair no more than 3 times a week in the coldest water you can stand to help retain moisture.
- Conditioner is a must! Apply conditioner from mid-shaft down to the ends. Applying conditioner to the roots can weigh your hair down.
- Incorporate a special deep conditioning treatment once a week.
- Get your ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks at the minimum. Split ends can travel up the hair shaft causing indefinite frizz.
- Let your hair air dry as much as possible before using a blow dryer. If air drying is not an option, use a leave-in conditioner or heat protecting product before blow drying.
- Speaking of heat, even though heat styling products can cause damage if used too frequently, they can also help with frizz control. When your hair cools after heat styling, the cuticle locks into place helping to fight the frizz.
- Coat your fingers with oil before situating or fluffing curls.
- Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase or with a silk or satin wrap. Pillowcases made of other materials can drain your hair of moisture at night.
- Be sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating a balanced diet. It helps your hair – we promise!
- On super humid days, when all else fails – you can always rock an updo or top off your outfit with a trendy hat!
What are your favorite ways to fight the frizz? We have some great frizz fighting treatments at the Beauty Bar. Make an appointment today for a conditioning service or a smoothing keratin treatment. We look forward to seeing you!