As we are all aware, skin that is overexposed to the sun is far more prone to sunburn, skin conditions, premature ageing and more importantly, skin cancer. While we know the sun is vital in providing us vitamins and minerals, overexposure can be dangerous and even life threatening. But let’s be honest – we all feel better when we have a tan. Spray tanning is one of the best options for achieving a bronzed glow from head to toe the safe and healthy way.
To get the best spray tan results possible, follow these tips prior to your session:
- Perform any waxing or shaving at least 24 hours in advance of your spray tan.
- Gently exfoliate your skin with a loofah or a gentle sulfate free skin polish to get rid of any dead skin cells.
- Remove any make-up, deodorant, perfume, oils, moisturizers or residue from hair conditioners as these can prevent the sunless product from absorbing into the skin evenly.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and apply a very thin coat of Vaseline or a similar product to places like your elbows, knees, palms of your hands and lips to prevent the product from getting into the creases of those areas and creating dark lines.
After care tips:
- To minimize the chance of the bronzers transferring to clothing, it is recommended that you wear loose-fitting, darker clothes after your spray session.
- Wait at least 6-8 hours after your application before activities such as bathing, swimming or exercising/sweating that may interfere with the development of the solution on your skin. If you can leave it on longer that is a good idea, but at least give the product 6-8 hours to do its job.
- It is also important to keep skin moisturized after sunless tanning as dry, flaky skin will slough off faster and color will fade sooner. Your goal is to basically slow down your body’s natural exfoliation process.
Following these tips before and after sunless tanning will help your tan to look better and last longer. Happy tanning!